Monday, February 20, 2012

Sickness and Such

Wow, I can't believe February is almost over already. The only thing that makes me happy about that is the EP process is supposed to start up again this month. I am hoping and praying daily with all of my friends who are waiting on their little ones to come home from Korea. A number of these families have been matched with their children since December 2010. At this point, they are going to wait at least 15 months to bring home their children - it is just heartbreaking. Even though we are also waiting, in many ways it doesn't feel like it because barring some sort of miracle we really have no hope of traveling to bring Jonah home this year.

February started out fantastically with a visit from my dad and stepmom (Papa and MeMe). Joshua did really well with them and seemed less anxious than with our first overnight visitor (Grandma - my mom). I am hoping he becomes more and more comfortable with having new people here because we like to have house guests whenever we can. My stepmom is my favorite picture taker. Over the years, she has captured some of my favorite photos of John and I. She was also the one I turned to when we needed to take a family photo for our adoption application. During their visit, she took some family photos and also some pictures of Joshua and I, since I don't have many of those being that I am the picture taker in our family. I will post them later, but I have to share one of my favorites now.


Following their visit, we have had a rough couple of weeks. Joshua got very sick. At first it seemed like a cold, but by day three, I was rushing him to the doctor's office with wheezing and increased respirations. The only reason we didn't end up in the ER is because I get VIP treatment at John's work from one of his colleagues. I am so grateful. Joshua's oxygen level was very low. It took 3 breathing treatments, plus oral steroids to get it back up, but even then he was still wheezing. Our NP put us on around the clock breathing treatments plus inhaled steroids. That particular week, John was working 12 hours shifts due to a base exercise so he wasn't able to help out at night at all. Needless to say I was exhausted. The next morning we ended up going to the ER because he was still wheezing. Thankfully, some time between me deciding to bring him in and the doctor seeing him, the second dose of oral steroid kicked in. Because this is now the third time this has happened, Joshua's NP has put him on inhaled steroids permanently as a preventative measure. Joshua has major risk factors for asthma, and it is looking like he probably has it.

Joshua recovered after several days and is now doing well. I got sick immediately after that, sicker than I have been in a very long time. Or maybe it just felt like that with it being my first experience with being sick as a mom. Miserable. I was running a fever and was endlessly blowing my nose, pretty sure it was RSV. I just wanted to lay on the couch and go to sleep, but not possible. I even tried to put on a movie for Joshua to see if he would sit and watch it and let me rest, bu no go. I was literally in tears. Never have I wished my mom lived near me more. While we have started to make friends here, I still don't feel like I have anyone to call in a situation like this (my friend Christy lives an hour away so a little far to help in this type of situation).

In the midst of all this Joshua started cutting his last canine tooth. I don't know how it is for others, but teething has been really difficult for us. Even with Ibuprofen, it really bothers Joshua. He usually sleeps through the night, but when he is teething his sleep is disturbed and he will wake up around 4am most nights, maybe the pain killers wearing off? I can get him back to sleep, but it leaves us both very tired. Also, his personality completely changes. My sweet happy little boy is replaced by a very irritable and very fussy little boy. I was literally at my whits end by the end of this past week and just desperate for a break. We haven't reached a point where we feel comfortable leaving Joshua with anyone yet, so I don't really ever get a break. Most of the time, I am completely okay with that, but after these past couple of weeks I really needed one. Thankfully, John was able to give me a break this past Saturday - got my haircut, went to Target by myself, then went to a 31 party. It was just what I needed.

This week begins another week of 12 hour shifts for John, which actually means he will be gone for at least 13 hours (often more). These weeks are very hard on both of us. If you could, would you pray for us this week?

4 comments:

Christy said...

You know, I was just reading thinking that you should have called me that awful day. Ella and I could have come out to help for a couple of hours at least so you could nap! Please don't hesitate to ask!
So glad you're BOTH better! See you soon!

Buttercup said...

Sending my prayers. Hope you both are feeling better.

Elaine said...

I am so sorry to hear about all this sickness. :( I remember putting on a movie (for the first time ever) for LB when I was so sick I just wanted to lay. She watched for maybe less than 10 mins. Sickness as a mommy is a whole new experience!

I will pray for you this week...for renewed strength for each day.

I Believe in Miracles said...

Praying for you!!!
xoxo