Friday, August 3, 2012

"Firsts"

In my last post, I wrote about my sadness over missing many of Jonah's "firsts." During our wait for Joshua, I wrote something similar here.

While it is true that we missed many of the big firsts and there is some sadness associated with that, there are so many more firsts we have gotten to experience and will experience in the future. I thought I would celebrate a few of them.

First time trying to ride a tricycle (not quite tall enough):


First living room fort:


Discovering that the pantry is a fun place to hide:


First Air Show:


First super hero cape:



First time being "tortured" by one of his cousins:


First PB&J:

Discovering pockets for the first time:




First bowl of cereal:




First "tattoo":


First imaginative play moment, he would fill up his pail, put it on his arm and tell me bye!:





"Discovering" ants for the first time:



I have truly cherished each one of these moments. I thank God every day for the privilege of being Joshua's mom. Missing so many of the most talked about firsts has made these smaller firsts that much more special to me. I especially love seeing him make new discoveries.

If you are waiting for your child to come home, especially those of you waiting on your first little one, I hope you will be encouraged as you see that there are so many wonderful first moments ahead of you. I love this post by Lisa which lists even more of them.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh I love these!! I just showed Barry all of your cute pictures and firsts. I especially love the ants discovery!! I loved all of his smiles too, man that's a cute kid!! Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

What a GREAT post. I especially loved the 'first imaginative moment'. Those are SOOOO fun. You are going to see so many of those. I love also seeing him with his hand in the pockets. You are going to LOVE watching him become a BIG BOY and love his interactions with his brother. So excited for you. What a beautiful post.

I Believe in Miracles said...

I love this post. You're right, you did miss some firsts, but there are a ton of other firsts you get to experience too. These are just precious. Just think of how many more you'll get to experience with both your boys together! xoxo